13 December 2010

All Aboard the Polar Express

 { via Hip Hip Hooray }

When I was teaching, one of the things I looked forward to most was reading The Polar Express with my class in the month of December. It captures the magical feeling of Christmas that I hope all children feel this time of year. The last school I taught at had a Polar Express Day in which everyone wore pajamas and slippers, drank hot cocoa, cycled through various Christmas stations in the classrooms, sang carols, and ended the day by watching The Polar Express {Tom Hanks is the ideal train conductor}. It really was enjoyable for everyone, although the setup was a bit extensive. The kids went home with a bell to remind them of the spirit of Christmas, and the teachers went home with a a sore throat and tired feet. All in good fun.

I want to start creating holiday traditions that our peanut will remember as she gets older, and The Polar Express will absolutely be one of them. To make it even better, I'd love to add some details that carry over from the movie and invite her cousins over to join the fun. Slippers will be a must. You can spruce up the movie by printing train tickets, crossword puzzles, or color pages from Houghton Mifflin, incorporating some small party ideas from Peppers and Pollywogs, or whipping up some yummy treats to enjoy while watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment